The concrete finisher molds, finishes, and repairs concrete on vertical surfaces such as bridge parapet, barrier wall, curb and gutter, and horizontal surfaces such as ditch paving at highway and heavy construction projects. Finishing is skillfully, done quickly behind a Gomaco paver or utilizing hand formed molds with concrete mixed at a 1” slump. The finisher is an important part of the crew and therefore; may also operate a variety of hand and power tools, may clean and prepare sites, dig holes, set forms or braces, clean up equipment, rubble and debris, and remove waste materials. The position assists other crew members.
Duties and responsibilities
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Performs a variety of skilled and unskilled tasks involving strenuous manual labor in highway construction projects to assist superintendents, foreman, and operators and other crew members produce a quality concrete product at a fair price.
- Reads grades and places rebar forms and reinforcement to the correct grade.
- Smooths and finishes freshly poured cement or concrete, using floats, trowels, screeds, or powered cement finishing tools in a smooth uniform manner to make the concrete aesthetically correct at the proper grade while still preventing chipping.
- Lifts, moves, assembles and dismantles construction materials such as stakes, string line, forms, expansion, sleeves, and rebar by hand using saws, hammers, nails, bolts, skid steers or lifts.
- Digs holes; backfills excavations; compacts and levels earth, using picks, shovels, pneumatic tampers, rakes, or skid steers.
- Maintains a clean and safe job site: picks up all tools and equipment and secures job site each day to eliminate potential hazards.
- Tends to machines that distribute concrete, grout, or cement. Shovels, mixes, pours, and spreads concrete, cement, grout or other materials. Operates jackhammers, drills and saws to break or cut concrete, rock or pavement. Places, consolidates, and protects cast-in-place concrete.
- Lifts and places blankets, burlap, or plastic to protect concrete.
- Mixes and sprays materials such as water, steam, or curing compound through hoses to clean, coat, or seal surfaces.
- Grinds, scrapes, sands, or polishes surfaces such as concrete using abrasive tools or machines.
- Ensures proper safety and incident reporting procedures are followed.
- Effectively mentors less experienced concrete finishers.
- Brings problems to the attention of the foreman, superintendent, or HR.
- Performs all other duties as assigned.
- 2-5 years of experience as a highly skilled concrete finisher producing a quality vertical concrete product at a fair price
- Experience finishing behind a Gomaco paver (highly preferred)
- Own/supply basic finishing tools for personal use
- Ability to travel and work for extended periods of time
- Ability to lift up to 80 lbs repeatedly throughout the work day
- Good communication skills
- Gets along well with others
- Team results driven
- Detail oriented
- Attention to quality
- Highly self-motivated
- Desire to keep self and other team members safe
- Ability to mentor others
- OSHA 10 certification is expected within 90 days of employment
- Licensed to drive and insurable to drive company vehicles (preferred)
Must be able to travel and work for extended periods of time; including overtime. Available to work days, evenings, or nights as required. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently exposed to dust particles, moving mechanical parts and vibration. The employee is occasionally exposed to a variety of extreme conditions at construction job sites. The noise level in the work environment and job sites can be loud. The position regularly works near moving mechanical parts and in outside conditions that include inclement weather, heat and humidity, cold and exposure to dust.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. The position lifts heavy objects 50-80 lbs repeatedly, walks and stands for long periods of time and performs strenuous physical labor under adverse field conditions. The employee lifts, pushes, pulls or carries objects; uses abdominal and lower back muscles to provide support over time without fatigue; and effectively jumps, sprints or throws objects. The position requires good manual dexterity (hand, hand with arm, two hands) and multi-limb coordination. The position requires the ability to quickly move arms and legs. The employee must have excellent stamina.
We are seeking long-term employees who will enjoy the unique culture at Gerdan. If you have what it takes, submit your employment application and resume to email@example.com.