Gomaco Paver Operator
The Gomaco paver operator is fully responsible of the setup, operation, and daily maintenance of machines such as trimmer, concrete paver, or placer used to slipform concrete bridge parapet, barrier wall, curb and gutter, sidewalks, and ditch paving at highway and heavy construction The paver operator is an important part of the crew, and therefore, may also operate a variety of hand and power tools, may clean and prepare sites, set forms or bracing, clean up equipment, rubble and debris, and remove waste materials. The position directs and assists other crew members.
Duties and responsibilities
- Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Performs a variety of skilled and unskilled tasks involving strenuous manual labor in highway construction projects to assist superintendents, foreman, and other crew members produce a quality concrete product at a fair price.
- Reads grades and ensures rebar, block and string line are set and reinforced properly.
- Loads and unloads the machinery onto and off of low boy trailers.
- Assembles and dismantles the trimmer heads or molds from the machines.
- Ensures the quality of materials is correct for a good pour
- Directs crew as needed; especially in the absence of superintendent or foreman
- Sprays and cleans the machinery after paving operations to free the machine of concrete.
- Lifts, moves, assembles and dismantles construction materials such as stakes, string line, forms, expansion, sleeves, and rebar by hand using saws, hammers, nails, bolts, skid steers or lifts.
- Digs holes, backfills excavations, compacts and levels earth, using picks, shovels, pneumatic tampers, rakes, or skid steers.
- Maintains a clean and safe job site: picks up all tools and equipment and secures job site each day to eliminate potential hazards.
- Tends to machines that distribute concrete, grout, or cement. Shovels, mixes, pours, and spreads concrete, cement, grout or other materials. Operates jackhammers, drills and saws to break or cut concrete, rock or pavement. Places, consolidates, and protects cast-in-place concrete.
- Lifts and places blankets, burlap, or plastic to protect concrete.
- Mixes and sprays materials such as water, steam, or curing compound through hoses to clean, coat, or seal surfaces.
- Grinds, scrapes, sands, or polishes surfaces such as concrete using abrasive tools or machines.
- Ensures proper safety and incident reporting procedures are followed.
- Effectively mentors Gomaco paver groundman and new operators.
- Brings problems to the attention of the foreman, superintendent, or HR specialist
- Performs all other duties as assigned.
- 3-5 years experiencing operating Gomaco pavers, placers, and trimmers such as GT 3600, 4400, 6300, Commander III, RTR-5000, etc.
- In depth knowledge of producing a quality vertical concrete product at a fair price
- Demonstrated ability to lead a crew when needed
- Basic to intermediate knowledge of construction labor laws
- Ability to travel and work for extended periods of time
- Ability to lift up to 80 lbs
- Good communication skills
- Gets along well with others
- Team results driven
- Detail oriented
- Attention to quality
- Highly self-motivated
- Desire to keep self and other team members safe
- Ability to mentor others
- OSHA 10 certification is expected within 90 days of employment
- Licensed to drive and insurable to drive company vehicles
Must be able to travel and work for extended periods of time; including overtime. Available to work days, evenings, or nights as required. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently exposed to dust particles, moving mechanical parts and vibration. The employee is occasionally exposed to a variety of extreme conditions at construction job sites. The noise level in the work environment and job sites can be loud. The position regularly works near moving mechanical parts and in outside conditions that include inclement weather, heat and humidity, cold and exposure to dust.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. The position lifts heavy objects 50-80 lbs repeatedly, walks and stands for long periods of time and performs strenuous physical labor under adverse field conditions. The employee lifts, pushes, pulls or carries objects; uses abdominal and lower back muscles to provide support over time without fatigue; and effectively jumps, sprints or throws objects. The position requires good manual dexterity (hand, hand with arm, two hands) and multi-limb coordination. The position requires the ability to quickly move arms and legs. The employee must have excellent stamina.
Supervises Gomaco paver groundman. In the absence of a superintendent or foreman, also supervises laborers and finishers.